Xeriscaping, also known as xero-gardening, is essentially a type of landscaping which requires minimal water. This gardening technique is ideal in places where fresh water is not easily available and in places where weather condition is inconsistent. It’s a method specifically designed to diminish the use of water. Special consideration is given to prevent excess water from evaporating.
It’s important to understand that while planning the type of plants you wish to grow in your xeriscape, select only those plants that grow effortlessly in draught areas. Xeriscape not only saves water but also energy and time. Before xeriscaping it’s very important to gain some knowledge about this subject which can be done in the following way:
- Examine thoroughly: Do proper research by taking going to a local park or nature trail and find out plant type can grow without much water or other planting services. You can also identify these plants online, by reading books from the library or you can simply go to local nurseryman for easy identification. And if you have decided the species you plant them in xeriscape.
- Study: In any kind of growing method, it’s very important that you study the needs and requirements of the plants you wish to grow. This applies to xeriscape also. Study natural conditions in which these plants grow so that you get an idea of what these plants need to grow in xeriscape.
Advantages of Xeriscapes in the Agricultural World:
- Xeriscaping is originally developed for growing plants in draught-afflicted areas where water is a scarce resource.
- It can save water by almost 50-75%.
- It embraces an organic growing method; there is no use of chemicals.
- Because there is no use of chemicals and fuel, this method ensures pollution free, environment friendly organic growing processes.
- It not only saves water but also stores used water for recycling.
Seven Important Xeriscaping Principles:
- The most essential element of xeriscape is that it constantly works on conserving water and increasingly uses rain water.
- It simultaneously works on two things – it drains and quickly stores water at the same time.
- It reduces the size of turf areas in the best possible way.
- It will give best results only if you select the right type of plants to prevent excess evaporation of water.
- Don’t overwater your xeriscape because the idea of using this method is to save water.
- Xeriscape is not very demanding; it needs low maintenance. The only consideration needed is to protect your garden from weeds.