Hydroponics is nothing but growing plants in organic ways using water, growing medium [Read more…]
Hydroponics is gaining popularity among commercial as well as non-commercial growers. You can build your own hydroponics grow room anywhere, i.e. from a store room to a garage or a small shed. All you need to do is concentrate on certain factors that influence plant growth. The four main factors that tremendously affect the growth of plants are:
- Temperature: Plants grown naturally or artificially need adequate light and heat to grow faster and look healthier. Temperature is an important factor that you should consider while setting up or designing your hydroponics garden. An ideal temperature that plants need to grow should be somewhere between 20-28°C. With proper lighting facilities you can easily adjust the temperature of your grow room to achieve the required temperature. And during summer, when the temperature is high you can cool down your grow room with the help of fans or air pumps.
- Light: As a matter of fact, one thing that is most needed in your grow room is the proper availability and placement of light bulbs. Lighting not only demands proper power supply but also requires proper maintenance. It’s very important that you create a lighting that is similar to the sun light. Depending on the growth-stage of your plant you can use lights at any time of the year and adjust from time to time. With proper lighting set up you can grow any plant at any time of the year.
- Atmosphere: Normally plants need enough amount of CO2 to breathe and actively work on production processes. You can either inject CO2 into the grow room or you can generate CO2 with the help of CO2 generators or CO2 regulators. The major concern while taking care of the atmosphere is the minimum use of pesticides or any negative ions in the grow room.
- Humidity: Since hydroponics is all about controlling and automated gardening you can easily adjust or balance the humidity level of your grow room. Humidity if not suitable for the plants encourage growth of grey mold. This negatively affects your crops and the entire green house. Humidity of around 50% is apt for efficient plant growth. You can adjust humidity level with the help of extractor fans to get rid of excess heat or humidity.
Mushrooms, if grown hydroponically are grown as fungi instead of plants. Hydroponically grown mushrooms have a unique appearance and are of superior quality. Hydroponics basically means growing plants in nutrient-enriched water solution instead of soil. Here are few helpful tips on how you can grow hydroponic mushrooms easily in your own hydroponics garden.
Suitable types of mushrooms to be grown hydroponically
Types of mushrooms you can grow hydroponically are: nameko, shiitake, oyster, lion’s mane, button, maitake, cinnamon cap and enokitake.
Easy method to grow hydroponic mushrooms:
How to start ?
Growing mushrooms is not a tough job as long as you’re clear about what you are doing. With the help of hydroponics, improved size and flavor is guaranteed. You can grow huge quantity of mushrooms even without having a proper hydroponics garden. Yes!! You read it right; you can grow mushrooms without a garden. The easiest way to grow hydroponic mushrooms is by using a mushroom growing kit. This kit is basically a square-shape block of compressed sawdust of size not less than 12 inches. You’ll get this block with inoculated mushroom seeds. However, you can build your own sawdust or seed block.
The most popular and convenient method to grow hydroponics mushroom is soak the sawdust block in cold and non-chlorinated water for few hours and then put them in dark place with temperature ranging between 60ºF and 75ºF. Mushrooms grow faster in cold water therefore you can get large amount of edible mushrooms in very less time.
After your first harvest of mushrooms, you can keep your sawdust block to rest aside for a week and then reuse it for another mushroom planting cycle. But, with every new cycle the size and number of mushrooms might reduce as the amount of hydroponic nutrients decreases as the same growing medium is used for many mushroom growing cycles. When the sawdust block is fully used and is of no use, you can add it in a garden compost pile.
Grow hydroponic mushrooms without the kit
If you wish to grow hydroponic mushrooms without a kit then you have to start growing some mycelium until it’s big and strong enough to support a mushroom reproductive cycle. For growing mushrooms you can use a fresh mushroom, a culture purchased from a culture bank or seeds. Now place mushroom, a culture or seeds on a Petri dish and allow mycelium to grow out.
After couple of weeks you’ll see formation of sterilized grain like wheat, rye or millet. And, after almost 4 weeks mushrooms will grow on the grain. You can use grain seeds to grow more grain. Carry out this process in a clean environment to avoid any contamination due to harmful bacteria or other molds. It’s advisable to clean the growing medium before using it. To use this method of growing healthy mushrooms it’s very important to clean the room and the filter carefully. Hydroponic mushrooms if grown carefully are easy to grow and can be delicious addition to salads, fries and curries!
Gardening can be quite tedious at times. You plants need good nurturing every day to stay healthy and active. To make gardening easier, here are few reliable and convenient ways that will help you grow a fantastic garden so that you can relax and watch your plants grow effortlessly.
- Weeds: Weeds usually suppress ground-hugging plants. To get rid of weeds you can grow aromatic, low-growing herbs like thyme, chamomile and periwinkle in borders and places where weeds grow. Remember, the smaller your borders are, the less room weeds will have to grow in, therefore reduce the size of big borders with paving or gravel.
- Use Containers: Consider replacing your garden by simply planting your plants in containers. This will help your plants roots to grow faster and will demand low-maintenance.
- Lighting: With the help of hydroponics lighting you can get ideal growth. This is because plants get adequate light in any season with the help of artificial lighting. You have full control over the intensity of your lights as you can adjust your lighting system.
- pH levels: The best part about hydroponics is that you can easily control pH levels. You can easily adjust the pH levels of your hydroponics garden. This will encourage your plants to grow faster and also will give you a wonderful looking garden.
- Pest-free garden: Hydroponic offers gardening with reduced pests as compared to traditional plant growing method. This factor helps you get clean and hygienic garden with strong hydroponic plants.
- Full control: You can change the quantity of nutrient solution, the lighting and you can provide them with protected shelter.
Hydroponic gardening is clean and effortless method that consistently gives healthy and delicious fruits and vegetables. You can enjoy growing plants with hydroponics, if you are a dedicated hobbyist. It can simplify growing with the help of easily accessible hydroponic systems and equipment to give you a fantastic looking garden. Hydroponics guarantees a very satisfying plant-growing.
In traditional gardening, plants are directly exposed to pests and diseases. Here, Mother Nature plays a vital role in cleaning crops, for instance, rain washes off the insects and dirt from the crops and beneficial microorganism naturally gorge on the harmful pests. Similarly, even hydroponics, though one of the most advanced technique for gardening, comes with its own set of disadvantages. For instance, in hydroponics typically plants are gathered inside grow rooms which get infested by insects and pests.
To maintain proper hygiene and cleanliness is the only way to prevent development of pests and other disease causing germs inside the grow rom. As the old saying goes “Prevention is better than cure”, similarly, it’s much easier to prevent initiation of pests in your hydroponic garden than to get rid of them. Listed below are some preventive measures that you can take to help your plants stay healthy and strong:
- First and foremost, maintain your garden at regular intervals. Many commercial hydroponics growers follow strict preventive measures like special clothing and shoe cleaning mats.
- Adjust the humidity at a lower range, ideally 50-60% and keep the temperature to 75°.
- Keep proper arrangements for air circulation and ventilation to prevent your garden from harmful microorganisms.
- Avoid over-watering as damp growing environment leads to formation of algae.
- Never enter your indoor grow room after cleaning your outdoor crops, instead do it in reverse as this encourages quick transfer of bad microorganisms into your indoor hydroponic garden.
- Don’t make the mistake of bringing your soil-plants into your hydroponics grow room to share the grow lights.
- And, most importantly, don’t smokes inside your hydroponics grow room because tobacco can harm the leaves and destroy your plants.
With these preventive measures you can stop pest and insect invasions in your hydroponics grow room. It should successfully eradicate pests and diseases from your garden. Ensure you check your plants regularly to make them healthy. Fulfill their needs regularly and if you see any problem then attend to it immediately; don’t wait for long as that might destroy your plants!
If you feel that gardening is dreary and tiring, then here is this exciting new revolutionary technology that can change your perspective on gardening. Hydroponics is the answer and Hydroponic gardening is a uncomplicated way of cultivating plants; plants that are healthy and aromatic. Hydroponics is essentially a technique for growing plants without soil in a nutrient solution or with the help of a root zone media. Nutrient solution provides the plant with all essential nutrients that are required for your plants’ growth. For anchorage, non-soil growing media, both natural and artificial, like perlite, clay pebbles, vermiculite, coir, etc, can be used.
On the flip side, as a Hydroponic grower you might never get to go too far away from your plants and end up spending a lot of time in your hydroponics garden. But hydroponic equipment offers a solution. Automated hydroponic equipment can give you that much-needed breather and save you a lot of your precious time. Hydroponics system with the combination of good hydroponics equipment can automatically supply water and nutrients in exact proportion that is required by plants to grow effortlessly.
Since hydroponic equipment is conducive to being operated irrespective of the climatic conditions, it is necessary to carefully engineer the factors conducive for growth of plant through use of proper lighting equipment and nutrients. If you operate your hydroponic equipment in an indoor grow room, you will need to use technology to regulate the artificial light and circulation that makes your plants ticks. Good hydroponic equipment ensures the optimal use of hydroponic supplies.
Hydroponics equipment that is automated has sensors that monitor important environmental factors which can affect crop growth. The control system adjusts vent position, heating, lighting, irrigation frequency, nutrient levels and carbon dioxide levels by reacting to the sensors. Most sections of hydroponics equipment are also integrated with each other, so they work in tandem to ensure that they do not harm any component of the greenhouse environment.
If gardening is one hobby you would like to pursue but don’t have enough place to build a garden then you should explore the option of indoor hydroponic gardening. You don’t have to worry about the open garden space anymore with indoor hydroponic gardening. You can easily build a garden indoors with improvised hydroponic trays and containers or on rooftops and terraces.
Most growers living in cities don’t have the luxury of enough arable land for gardening. With indoor hydroponic gardening you enjoy unique flowers and fruits grown without soil. By dissolving nutrient solution in water you can grow best possible plants in your indoor hydroponic garden. The most popular hydroponic system used in indoor gardening is the wick and drip system where roots of your plants absorb essential nutrients directly along with water. Here, the nutrients formula is allowed to flow from the tube that drips on top of the plants.
Hydroponics equipment you use for indoor gardening may vary from the simple ones to complicated ones. Before you set up your hydroponic garden the most important factors you need to consider are the cost, the type of plants and the maintenance needed. Tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers are the most popular choices to grow indoors. Herbs are also a smart choice to grow plants indoors.
Growing plants indoors is a good way to grow your crops. Indoor grow rooms are simple to build. Select a small room or closet or a sectioned off area in your basement. The growing area must have a power source to connect hydroponics equipment to. The floor has to be hard and dry; that rules out all wooden flooring and carpeting. Mildew and mould from water leakage can ruin such surfaces.
Windows need to be sealed with black plastic. You could hang a curtain-like sheet of black plastic on your doors to block the light. Install a grow light system that can be physically raised or lowered. Make sure it is tethered by chains or cables so that it remains stable. Never use flammable materials in your grow room to prevent accidents and to avoid destroying your crops.
Small table fans that do not take up much power can be used for circulation. If you have a small grow room, even a single fan is enough. Place your grow tables beneath the grow lights. Work out a drainage system and recycle the excess water from the hydroponics systems. Use pumps with timers so that your watering schedule does not go awry. If you irrigate your plants a timer will ensure even watering. Lighting systems could also use timers, since light needs to mimic the patterns of day and night.
If you are exploring options to make gardening less tedious, then here is a new technology that can make gardening fun and exciting for you. Hydroponic gardening is a trouble-free way of cultivating plants; plants that are colorful, delicious and aromatic – something you thought can only imagine. Cultivating a hydroponics garden is not a rocket science; you can attempt build a hydroponics garden at almost any place and during any time of the year. You can even transplant your soil-grown plants to hydroponic grow rooms and grow them using hydroponic products. Transplantation is simple; just loosen up the soil around your plants, wash them with cold water and place them in your hydroponic grow rooms. With hydroponics you don’t have to depend on extraneous factors like climate, rains, sunlight, availability of space etc to cultivate your favorite plant. You can grow your favorite plant in a hybridized environment with the help of hydroponic gardening.
Hydroponics is essentially growing plants without soil in a nutrient solution or with the help of a root zone media. Nutrient solution provides the plant with all essential nutrients that are required for your plants’ growth. For anchorage, non-soil growing media, both natural and artificial, like perlite, clay pebbles, vermiculite, coir, etc, can be used. Hydroponics system with the combination of good hydroponics equipment can automatically supply water and nutrients in exact proportion that is required by plants to grow effortlessly. It fulfills the nutrient requirement, which differs from plant to plant, in a simplified manner. If you think hydroponics like other growing method is demanding. Then here is the good news, you can even build your own hydroponics system in your garage or basement.
If you are thinking of hydroponics, Advanced Nutrients is one company that empathizes with your needs for fast-growing and potent hydroponic plants! Advanced Nutrients makes an extra effort to understand the requirements and concerns of all you hydroponic growers and through intense research develop products that will completely satisfy your needs. Advanced Nutrients product line is a comprehensive approach to growing plants hydroponically. The products are mostly organic and very few are semi-organic mixes. Advanced Nutrients helps its growers cultivate superior hydroponic crops. All the products are 100% performance guaranteed. Many growers have tested the products of other hydroponics companies and have voted Advanced Nutrients as the best hydroponic company, in terms of quality and results. If you desire for the best, be with the best!
One cannot emphasize enough the importance of a good nutrient feeding schedule to your plants. If your nutrient feeding schedule is sloppy, or otherwise not done well at all, you will only enjoy a small fraction of the yields, aroma, and flavor that you can get with hydroponics.
The exact, precise nature of your hydroponics nutrient feeding schedule will actually depend upon a variety of factors, including what you are growing. However, there [Read more…]
One of the best and easiest ways to take your garden to the next level is just by giving your plants some beneficial microbes. Beneficial microbes, besides, helping protect your plants from harmful micro organisms, actually help your plants use your nutrient solution, particularly nitrogen, more effectively. They colonize around your roots, making them bigger and stronger, and in turn making your plants healthier overall.
But using beneficial microbes in hydroponics is not as simple as just mixing them in with your nutrient solution. You also have to work to ensure their survival and do what you can to ensure [Read more…]